Today, the 2013 Bag up Manitoba – Plastic Bag Challenge launched at Ecole Robert Browning School. Running from September 30 to November 1, students are encouraged to collect as many single-use plastic bags as possible. In 2012, students from across Manitoba collected over 1 million bags. Let’s all work together to make 2013 another huge success!
Here is how your school can get involved.
1. Sign up: Contact Take Pride Winnipeg and register your school. Collection starts September 30 and runs until November 1. You may register at any time during the collection period.
2. Collect and count: Have all the students and teachers in your school collect as many plastic bags as possible during the collection period. Count and record your numbers as they arrive—this makes it much easier for you, and prevents delays in reporting your final numbers at the end of the month.
3. Package: Pack your bundles of grocery bags into larger garbage bags, for easier transport. Pick up/drop-off will be November 4 to November 15.
4. Receive: Two free birdhouses made from recycled plastic bags. Also, the top 14 schools in rural and urban categories will receive one of the newly designed benches, also made from recycled plastic bags, courtesy of Trex.
5. Drop-off: Gardewine Group Inc. will be the drop-off site for bags from participating rural schools (contact Take Pride Winnipeg for a list of locations). Winnipeg schools will have their bags picked up by BFI Canada or Take Pride Winnipeg staff. Once in Winnipeg, bags are baled by BFI Canada, then shipped by
If you have any further questions, please contact Carrie at email@example.com or at 204-956-7590 extension 203.