We’ve teamed up with Earth Rangers for a new program geared toward Manitoba youth. We’re excited to be sponsoring their newest mission, R.A.W.R. (Rescue Animals While Recycling)!
When children pledge to take the mission, they’ll be directed to take steps to ensure their recyclables are wildlife-safe, while learning about best recycling practices.
There are many things you can do to make sure your recycling is wildlife-safe. Here are some tips:
- Make sure your food and drink containers are empty. A quick rinse is always appreciated.
- Leave your lids and labels on to keep small animals from getting stuck inside your containers and jars.
- Cut up six-pack rings before disposing of them, as animals might get stuck inside them.
- Bring your leftover household cleaners and other hazardous chemicals to a recycling depot instead of putting it out with your garbage.
- Reuse the plastic bags in your home for trash bags or for pet wastes. You can also take your plastic bags back to the grocery store to be recycled. Find a list of drop off locations here.
- Keep your garbage and recycling in a place that animals can’t get into, like a garage or shed. Leave it there until it’s ready to be taken out and disposed of.
- Find out what can and can’t recycle in your blue bin. You can find a recycling guide for your community here.
By taking these small steps, we can help keep wildlife safe by keeping them out of our garbage and recycling. Are you up for the challenge? Sign up to become an Earth Ranger and pledge to take the R.A.W.R. mission here!