Tips for running a successful school recycling program
Here are some tips to help you create or improve your schools recycling program:
- Form a Team
- Talk with faculty, staff and students about the recycling program and how it can make a positive impact. Clarify what the program goals are, i.e. reducing contamination, diverting more materials from landfill etc.
- Set up a recycling team and get students involved! Students love to help.
- Appoint someone as the leader of the recycling team to help coordinate recycling efforts.
- Find Out What You Can Recycle
- Find out what you can and can’t recycle by contacting your recycling hauler/processor.
- Conduct a waste audit to learn exactly what materials from your waste stream can be recycled, composted or thrown away. This is a key step to understanding how to reduce the amount of trash going to the landfill.
- Common recyclables found in schools are:
- Paper and cardboard
- Beverage bottles, cans and cartons
- Organize Collection Procedures
- Place a recycling bin in each classroom and office. Classroom bins can be as simple as a cardboard box or plastic tub.
- Pair all existing garbage bins in the school with a recycling bin.
- Be sure to place larger recycling bins in other communal areas like printer/copy machine areas, break rooms and cafeterias.
- Create a system to manage any residual liquids remaining in beverage containers before they are recycled.
- Consider adding a compost bin to help with organic materials.
- Identify who will be responsible for collecting the recyclables and transporting them to the exterior collection container. Provide custodians with collection procedure instructions or develop a plan with students and faculty to share recycling duties.
- Make sure there are sufficient visual aids (posters, bin labels) to inform students and the rest of the school population of what is and is not recyclable.
- Label recycling bins with the words, “Recycle,” or “Recycling Only.”
- On the bin or a nearby wall, post an accepted materials list like our “Recycle Like Michael” poster.
If your school has a social media account, feel free to tag us in your recycling/environment related posts! We’d love to see your school’s recycling program in action!
Information and assistance
For more information, please contact:
Phone: 1-877-952-2010 (toll-free) or (204) 953-2010