MMSM and Take Pride Winnipeg! have decided to cancel the Bag Up Manitoba Challenge, with no plans to resume the program in the future. With more retailers removing plastic bags from their stores, and the federal government’s announcement on banning single-use plastics by the end of 2023, plastic bags will soon be eliminated from our day-to-day lives.
We would like to thank all the students, teachers, and schools who have participated in this program in the past. Since launching the program in 2010, over 11 million bags have been recycled and diverted from landfill.
Remember that plastic bags can be reused around your home in various ways. Here are some tips:
- Use plastic bags as packing material
- Use bags as trash can liners
- Reuse bags to pick up animal wastes
- Only take a plastic bag when you really need it
- Utilize reusable bags while shopping
- Pack the bags as full as possible! Keep in mind that a plastic bag can hold up to 17 pounds of product – nearly 2,000 times its own weight!